Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)

$38.00

Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) also known as Witch’s Thimbles and Our Lady’s Glove is a staple in witch's gardens. Although Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) is very dangerous if misused, it has a long history of medicinal use for heart and kidney problems, edema and aconite poisoning. The poison in Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) is a cardiotoxin.  Symptoms of poisoning include dizziness, vomiting, cardiac arrythmia, delirium, wild hallucinations and seeing blue. Low doses of the plant have been used in medicinal preparations. However, the medicinal dose and the toxic dose is precariously close. Just .3g of dried leaves can be toxic to adults.

According to lore, Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) is used in baneful magic and for protection and divination spells.  Placed in front of the house, Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) is believed to protect the occupants from evil influences.  Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) is also believed to be a favorite of faeries.  The plant attracts faeries and they supposedly play inside the flowers. Juice or dew collected from Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea) can be used in rituals to commune with the faeries and the leaves are said to help break faerie enchantments. However, do not let it touch your skin and do not inhale the smoke if you burn the leaves. The toxic effects of the plant may overtake you.  People have also been accidently poisoned by mistaking foxglove for Comfrey.